Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Are you serious?!

I am amazed at the things people say sometimes. Yesterday in Walmart, I was trying to keep my kids together while picking up a few things. Kourtney started crying because I wouldn't let her have everything she laid her eyes on. A lady came up to me and said, "You remind me of that lady on Jon & Kate plus 8."

Me: Oh really?

Lady: Yeah, she's blond like you, and really crazy with too many kids too.

I looked at her, smiled, kissed my babies and walked off. Sheesh, I didn't think they were that out of control. They were actually being really good despite the little temper tantrum. And, I have 3 kids, not 8.......big difference! (Plus, I don't think Kate is crazy. She's got it pretty together for having 8 little kids.)

Then, a while back, an old friend (who is not married, nor does she have any kids) informed me that I was so lucky to be a stay-at-home mom. I completely agreed, I am very lucky to have the job I do, and I'm very grateful too. But, she then proceeded to tell me the reason I was so lucky was because I could stay in my p.j.'s all day and watch all the TV I wanted and never had to go to work. Seriously?! Oh well!

So, for now, I'm the crazy lady with too many kids, that stays home all day and never leaves the couch watching TV non-stop. (Yeah Right!) I hope all you moms have a good laugh since we know that's not how it is!

10 comments:

Vanessa said...

People have some nerve! Thank goodness we know the truth! I know you are a wonderful mom Amanda!

Sean and Janet Eyring said...

Alright, has that lady ever watched Jon and Kate? You have much longer, much blonder (commenting only on color, not connotations here) hair, and I am sure that you aren't nearly as loud and complainy.

And I agree, 3 (or even my 2) aren't anything like 8....well somedays!

How's Love Stargirl?

Erin said...

Can you believe the nerve of some people. I have a friend that told me Maybe you shouldnt have your kids to close together you should wait till you have another. This was when I was in the hospital right after I had lost my baby. Can you believe that. I wanted to pull her through the phone and smack the heck out of her.

J♥M said...

Perspective is interesting! I'd really like to know why and how some people could even think it's that easy! Sit in PJ's and watch TV and all day. Huh? So glad that we really run around like chickens with our heads cut off most days! Everytime I blog or shower for that matter, I have a HUGE mess somewhere to deal with! I can't imagine how it would be to sit in my pj's and watch tv! Sorry you had to go through that!

Unknown said...

some people... of course you don't sit in your pjs and watch tv! you eat bon bons and read your books! hah just kidding manda i couldn't do what you do. I can barely handle babysitting for 3 hours. wow.

Mel and Angus said...

Amanda - You're not crazy because you have three kids. You're crazy because you are your mom's daughter!! Just kidding. I love your mom and some of my best Kirtland memories are with your family. I am glad to reconnect with you and Megan. It is fun to see what your are up to. Tell your folks hi.

Bond Fam said...

Oh my goodness some people are so rude!!!! I swear sometimes this whole crap about how stay at home mom's are so lazy really gets on my nerves (ok so it gets on my nerves all the time). Thats why I have to try to ignore it, which is harder some days then others! And Im with you I think that Kate Gosselin is doing an amazing job, with 8 kids I think she deserves an award not criticism!

Ginger said...

Comments like this don't bother me anymore. I guess after you've received a lot of them the shock kind of wears off. I'd love to see any of these "all knowing" people do what you do for a week (I say a week, instead of a day because you need some time for all the sleep deprivation to seep in). Funny.

Unknown said...

Hey, found you blog-hopping through aunt mel (hope you don't mind) :) That was pretty stinkin rude though. I wonder why it is people have such misconceptions about being a mama and homemaker. And shopping with three kids isn't crazy. I just saw a family of 6 (all under 12ish) last week who managed a shopping trip just fine with only one parent present.

carrie said...

I loved this story! People just never understand until they have kids themselves:).....your are all very cute by the way!