Here is a recap of a conversation I had with a 5 year old this weekend. We were at my niece's baptism, and one of her cousins from the other side of the family asked me this question.......
"What is that little girl's name (pointing to Kourtney)?"
I replied, "It's Kourtney."
Then she proceeded to say, "Then why are you calling her other stuff?"
"What do you mean?"
"You just called her Ella and Kourt."
I explained the Kourt was like a nickname, since it was part of her name, and Ella is her middle name and I call her by that sometimes too.
So, this got me thinking. I don't know if even half the time I call my kids by their full given name. Alexis is usually Lexi or Lex. Kourtney is called Kourt and Ella by our family more than anything. I absolutely love the name Ella, but in the beginning Jeremy wasn't too fond of it. So we compromised by making it a middle name (it's great-grandma Hatch's name as well, that's who she's named after). But, I call her Ella more than anything. Then, there is my sweet baby boy. His full name is Jeremy Andrew (after his daddy), but we call him Andrew. And, our family calls him Drew most of the time. So, all of my kids many names aren't too off, but am I confusing them?
I don't think I'm doing permanent damage?! On Lexi's first day of ballet, her teacher called her name. She marched right up and said I'm Alexis, but you can call me Lexi (she was 3 at the time!!!). Does anyone else call their kids things other than their given name? Am I confusing them? I guess old habits die hard. I can't remember the last time I called my sisters Megan and Kaitlin by their name. To me, they will always be Meggie and KK. At least all of these names are derivatives of the actual given names. Oh well!
11 years ago


2 comments:
I don't think your confusing them. Garrett has always gone by different nicknames. He has given his friends nicknames at school now and they love it. He goes by G-man, G-money, bud, tigger, honey bear, stink bug, sweets and G. I almost never call him his name. I do worry about Savannah now though because she doesn't really reply much to Savannah, but baby goose, sissy face Wethington, savvy...those get her attention. Maybe it does confuse the smaller ones?
I do the same thing... to the point where other people think jaden's name is buddy, and that Rhiannyn, is annie. Aubryn is probably the most consistent name of all my kids, but most of the time her name is sister bear. So I say no I don't think they're confused, but on the off chance that they are slightly confused... there are lots of confused kids around, who've been given a funny term of endearment by their adoring mommy's.
Post a Comment