This little piggy went to the Doctor.....
Now this little piggy gets to stay home!
Yes, we're still sick around here. Going on 3 1/2 weeks now. Yes, we are sick of being sick. Oh well, what do you do......
So, if you want to hear me ramble and whine, then keep reading. If not.......just click away now! :)
The flu has hit our house. And the doctor is pretty sure it's swine. How did this happen? Your guess is as good as mine. We have been stuck in our house since October 1st when all of this started. Everyone in the house got sick, and then one by one we got better....or so I thought. Last weekend Lexi started going down hill again. So, she stayed home from church on Sunday and school Monday. She seemed all better so she went to school Tuesday (bad idea). She got way worse Tuesday night. Wednesday we went to the doctor again. Lexi tested negative for flu, so they did a strep test. That came back positive. So, the source of her troubles was strep throat. She got some antibiotics, stayed home from school the rest of the week, and is recovering nicely.
Thursday afternoon, Kourt started getting sick again. She felt horrible by Friday night, and had all the same symptoms as Lexi. So, Saturday morning, we went back to the doctor. I was fully expecting to get some antibiotics for her, and was convinced she had strep as well. Obviously I was wrong. Kourt has the flu!
The good news is that Lexi doesn't have the flu, and isn't contagious anymore. I double checked with the doctor about keeping her home, and he assured me she was fine to go out and she doesn't pose a risk of infecting others. So she can go back to school.....which is great considering the fact that she's only been in school 7 days in the month of October.
The bad news is now we are quarantining ourselves for at least another week. And Drew is starting to show some of the same symptoms as Kourt. Yuck! It's a good think I'm such a homebody and don't mind staying home.
{Climbing up on soapbox}
OK, now that I'm done whining about sick kids.......I don't get what all the hype about the swine flu is. In my opinion (and this is just my own personal opinion), I think the media has blown it way up and scared everyone too much. That doesn't mean there aren't risks with the swine flu, but I don't think it's as big of a deal as everyone is making it out to be. Kourt has a fever, a cough, and a sore throat. But she is perfectly fine as long as her fever stays down (via Tylenol and Motrin). She runs around the house and plays just like normal. Sheesh, the regular flu is worse in my opinion. Hey body isn't achy, and she isn't worn out. In fact, the doctor told me that the only real difference is that the swine is more contagious, and lasts a little longer. If you are in the high risk category (pregnant, sick, infant, elderly, etc.) that the swine can be worse, but for normal healthy people, it shouldn't be a big deal. Yes, if you get sick you should take precautions so as not to spread it, but really, it's not as bad as it's cracked up to be. For some people, it may be worse, but for us, it really hasn't been that big of a deal.
{Climbing off of soapbox to go disinfect house once again}


7 comments:
Sorry to hear you guys are still sick! Flu stinks! You have made me feel a bit better about it though because I've been debating if I should get the H1N1 vaccine on Thursday...I'm glad to know it's pretty much like the regular flu...I might prefer swine over regular if it comes without the fatigue and aches!
Geez Louise Amanda! You guys are troopers. I would be going insane! That's good to hear though, what you said about the swine flu. For some reason I haven't been to creeped out by it. I hope you guys are better soon.
Sorry you're all sick. Hopefully it passes soon!
I sure hope that all the sick goes away and that your turn is over for the rest of this year! I agree with you about all this. It's sure hard on a momma to keep disinfecting plus everything else she is to do.
I sure haven't been very good at commenting lately, but I'm finally getting around to it! I have to say Amen to you soapbox comments, though. I sure hope you all feel healthy & well soon.
dang... i'm sorry to hear you guys are all sick, but hopefully you will all get better soon... a month, maybe that is the length :) not much longer if that's the case
Wow what a rough month!! From what I have seen with swine flu - the scary thing is that it is so random in who gets really sick and who doesn't. Healthy 20 year olds have died while others seem fine! Pregnant women seem to be the sickest with this. I think it is more of the fear of the unknown that is scaring everybody. Hopefully you guys are done with this nasty flu season!
Post a Comment