Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I've simmered down by now.....

So, how about an explanation for my sour mood last week. This is going to be long....

First off, I have the best friends! Thanks for all of the kind words and encouragement. For all of you who got an email, especially last week, sorry I was so cranky in it. This will just be a repeat story, but much less cranky. For all of you who still haven't gotten an email reply, sorry as well. We were out of town all weekend and I'm still playing catch-up. But, instead of emailing you all back individually, I hope this explanation will help. If not, let me know.

OK, so the story:

I work part-time from home for a couple of accountants. As you all know, it's tax time. That means more work for me as well. I have a pretty sweet deal going on. I go to the office a couple of times a week to drop off/pick up work. I take it home, and am able to work while me kids are napping and after they go to bed at night. It's great, and I love it.

Well, Wednesday, I had to go to the office. The girls have dance lessons, so I just left about 15 minutes earlier so I could just stop by on the way. Drew was cutting molars and so beyond cranky last week. He struggled napping all day and was exhausted by the time we headed into town. Fortunately, he fell asleep in the car about 5 minutes or so away from work. Lexi fell asleep as well. Kourt was still awake when I got there.

My office is situated in a complex off of the main road. The entire front of the building is windows. I didn't want to wake the kids up for FIVE minutes (really, that's all it would take). So, I parked right in front of the office door, vented the windows just a bit, got Kourt out, grabbed my box of work, locked the doors, and headed inside. Now, before you freak out about me leaving the kids in the car, know that I could see them the entire time, only a sidewalk was separating my vehicle from the front door.

Once I got inside, Kourt ran off to the back to play with my friends/co-workers. (Jenn and Jamie saved me!) I set my box down, and was preparing the new box to take home. About 3 minutes had passed since I first walked in the door. The next thing I know, there is an older woman (probably in her early 80's I'm guessing) yelling at the receptionist about 'that neglectful mom that left her kids in the car to die of a heat stroke.' I walked up to her and asked her I she needed anything or if there was a problem in a calm manner (I'm in a professional office full of clients). Cue the drama.......

She began yelling and cussing me out. In the office. In front of everyone. I walked outside (leaving Kourt and my work still inside). Then, she really let me have it. She called me a lot of very nasty names that really upset me. I tried to explain the situation, and tell her that I was going to get my daughter, a box, and I would be leaving. So, she blocked the door, took out her cell phone, and proceeded to dial the police. Yup, she was calling the cops on me.

To say I was upset is an understatement. I got my sleeping babies out of the car, said some not very nice things, and walked into the office shaking. I stood in the doorway with the now screaming Drew in my arms, and Lexi half asleep besides me. I guess she was satisfied, because she hung her phone up, got in her vehicle, and drove off.

After she left, I put my kids back in the car, grabbed my box of work, and left for dance lessons. Really, it would have taken me five minutes total. And, normally I don't leave my kids in the car. At all. But, it was FEBRUARY (not gonna get heat stroke with 3 feet of snow on the ground), I could see them the entire time, the doors were locked so that no one else could get them, and really it was only going to be five minutes.

The reason I didn't post this before is because it was much more detailed and I was still very upset about the whole ordeal. I realize that when it comes down to it, she was just concerned about my kids well being. And for that, I truly am grateful. I'm glad to know that there are strangers out there that are willing to go to great lengths to protect innocent children. I see cars full of children in the Wal-mart parking lot all the time. I was just very upset by her delivery and attitude. She was very demeaning and accusatory, and really did say some very hurtful things. I know the things she said weren't true, but it hurt nonetheless. I wish she would have 'heard me out' and the situation wouldn't have ended so badly. I am embarrassed about the way I handled the situation as well. If it happened again, I would have done things completely different. But, she was a complete stranger, so I guess that's a good thing. Hopefully I'll never have her yell at me again! And, Grandma still says she's got my back....if she remembers that is.

So, I hope that answers any questions. That's why I was cranky and moody and mad.


Was I really that wrong to leave them in there considering the circumstance?
Really, I want to know what you think!?

11 comments:

B said...

If its just for a few minutes I say no big deal...I do it all the time ESPECIALLY when they are asleep. But like you, I can always see the car, and I'm in and out pronto! (like at the post office). WOW!!! I'd be mad too... crazy old lady must have been having a bad day too.

Anonymous said...

Your a great mom Amanda. Anybody who knows you is aware that your children are your Number 1 priority. I hope you don't let her comments affect how you will do things in the future. Old people don't have much to think about either. It was probably the highlight of her day..."Woman Saves Suffocating Children!" I'd trust my nearly here kid with you!
Love you, Karen

Keri said...

Confession here: I do the same thing... I do worry that someone will call the cops when I do it, but I wouldn't ever do it if I thought I was leaving my kids in danger. I understand how that would be completely upsetting to be faced with, especially in front of co-workers. I think some people forget what it was like to have children.

Bond Fam said...

Amanda seriously dont worry for one second that you were a bad mom for doing this cause your NOT! I do this all the time also, and like you I only do it when I can see the car and if its for 5 minutes! Its not worth waking them up and dealing with all that drama if they are going to be perfectly safe in the car! Seriously its feb. they were NOT going to die of a heat stroke, it sounds to me like that lady just overreacted! You are an awesome mom and don't you ever forget it!

Unknown said...

i would've yelled at you too just kidding amanda i got your back sis

gena said...

You Are The Best MOM Ever!!!

Megan said...

I think that I would have whopped her!

Anonymous said...

I think you should've kicked her walker out from under her. =)

Vanessa said...

I have done the same thing too, I run into the post office all the time, only in the winter time because we have 120 degree weather in the summer, but I totally know how you feel. Sorry she was such a !@#$%! You are a fab mom Amanda!

Love ya
Nes

Tessy said...

I leave my kids in the car ALL OF THE TIME! like at work-until they wake up. or for like as long as they will stay in there and watch a movie. who cares. small parking lot, 15 ft away. screw that old bag.
on a similar note, i can tell you a story that might make you feel better. . . let me know if you need it :) it involves, mesa temple, police, interuption of session, ian, and total embarrassment.

Rosjuane said...

I got your comment. I love having new readers so check me out anytime. But this is one I wanted to give my two cents about. I think it was fine and I do it too. My 7 year old out in the locked car with my two year old is fine by me. And them sitting in a heated car (by the heater I mean) is better than me draggin them out in the freezing cold for a half a second. I mean don't leave them in the parking lot while you go shopping in the mall but crap just for that? And what is that old lady gripping about her kids didn't even ride in car seats. Lay off!! I have left my kid in the car after we got home so he could finish a nap. Given I was outside with him and it wasn't hot or cold (spring) but whatever I can do to insure a nap is what I got to do.